David Levin, Event Director
20th FAI WORLD HOT AIR BALLOON CHAMPIONSHIP
August 17-25, 2012 – Battle Creek, Michigan
World Championship Update, July 27, 2012
Dear World Championship Competitors,
There are only a few weeks left before the start of the World Championship in Battle Creek. I want to remind you to keep an eye on the Official Notice Board on the website. We have recently posted the competition map as well as the Operations Manual. Please read through the Operations Manual and feel free to write with any questions. We have also posted waypoint files with the intersection goals.
Here are some items to keep in mind.
1. Aircraft Documents – Please be sure to bring all required documents to registration. If you are borrowing equipment in the U.S., please be sure you have the proper documentation which shows that the equipment is permitted with your balloon system.
2. Hotels – Please let us know as soon as possible if there are any changes in your hotel needs. Contact Derrick Jones email@example.com
3. Phones – Please see the phone information page in the Operations Manual. You must have a U.S. based phone to be reached by the recall system. We will also use this sms system in the event of cancelled briefings.
4. Extra Crew Badges – Each team will receive five badges, pilot, crew chief and three crew. Badges are used for admittance to the Opening and Closing ceremonies and all briefings. Extra crew badges cost $100. Please order extra badges as soon as possible from Derrick Jones.
5. Propane – Propane will be supplied beginning Saturday morning, August 18. If you need to fill your tanks before then, you can purchase it at Ferrell Gas, 7500 Tower Rd, Battle Creek, MI 49014
6. T-shirts – Don’t forget to send your T-shirt size to Derrick Jones.
7. Registration – Please be sure to register before you fly on August 17 or 18. You must register before flying as the FAA waiver will be in affect.
That’s all for now. Feel free to write with any questions on any aspect of the event. If I can’t answer your question, I will forward your email to someone who can.
20th FAI World Hot Air Balloon Championship
“The Journey is the Reward”
November 2, 2011
Dear 20th FAI World Hot Air Balloon Championship Competitors and Officials,
Welcome to the Director’s Page and Official Notice Board (ONB). The invitation process has begun and plans are well underway to host another fantastic World Championship in Battle Creek, Michigan.
We will be posting all important documents on the ONB on this website. Documents will include the following;
Maps, including Ozi and Compe calibration files
Ozi goal waypoint file
The Official Notice Board will be both on-line and posted at the Competition Center. Competitors can return to their individual hotels knowing that all scores and notices will be posted on the website ONB. All items will be posted to the two locations at approximately the same time.
The 20th FAI World Hot Air Balloon Championship will be conducted with observers and loggers.
The BFA uses the Garmin Dakota 10 GPS for a competition logger. One advantage of this logger is that you can carry it in the basket and use it for navigation if you like. Just don’t turn it off or change the setup menu. The loggers will have the competition map and pilot goal list pre-loaded. We will review the use of the Dakota 10 at the General Briefing. Please note that the Dakota 10 uses GPS altitude and your back-up logger should also use GPS altitude. You can download the Dakota 10 Owner’s Manual and Quickstart Manual at http://tinyurl.com/Dakota10manual. Click on #3 and #4.
We intend to post the competition map and approved rules after the CIA Plenary in March 2012.
Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding the event at DavidNLevin@gmail.com
I look forward to seeing you all next summer in Battle Creek.
Best Regards and Blue Skies